No. I’m not kidding.
They are arguably reality TV’s most annoying, opportunistic, egregious stars. Every time I see them together, I want to throw up and run for the hills (har har har…cough. I’ll be here all week!). But, there are some key things you as job seekers can learn from them. I know you’re saying, “WTF?”, but I’m serious!
In no particular order:
- Don’t burn bridges. Whether you’ve been laid off or are leaving a new job that ends up not being what you’d hoped, have respect for people around you and those that hired you (or let you go). You never know who those people know or where they’ll end up. They might just be the ones to help you get back on your feet. They can be your cheerleaders. They could hire you again down the road when things get better or they end up at a more desirable company. Speidi really screwed the pooch when they lashed out at their “I’m a Celebrity. Get Me Out of Here” co-stars/competitors. Those Frangela gals are not hesitating to talk some trash about those two.
- Don’t whore yourself out. Have some respect for yourself. You may be desperate for a pay check, but think about what you’re doing in order to earn that much-needed cash. Heidi, rolling around on the Malibu shores in a cheesy bikini for a video (cough…that your husband’s filming with a hand-held camera…cough) to help launch your “music career” should be downright embarrassing. Also, Playboy? I thought you were a good Christian girl. Stick to your values.
- Be genuine and up front. When you’re interviewing or even just talking about your career transition, be direct and be honest. You don’t have to incriminate yourself if you got fired, but don’t provide shady answers or skirt the issues, either. People will have a lot more respect for you if you tell the story straight, don’t throw other people under the bus and put your most genuine face forward. Heidi and Spencer’s segment on yesterday’s ”Today” show (and the fallout) is a perfect example of what NOT to do. Now, they just look like even bigger idiots. Who has the credibility here? Al Roker or Speidi? Roker or Speidi? Do I even have to give you the answer?
- Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.Let’s face it. Lauren Conrad made Heidi and Spencer Pratt. Without “The Hills”, no one would give two mounds of dog doo about them. They’d be another cheesy, over-bleached LA couple in search of a dream. If someone helped you be successful anywhere in your career, find kind words to say and don’t be ever disparaging.
- Remember you have a legacy. Anyone can bounce back from a questionable past or actions, but if you never atone for being an idiot, people will remember and treat you accordingly. Your actions have consequences. Always. Imagine being Spencer going for a job interview when his “celebrity” fades. Who in the world would want to hire him? No amount of saving by Stephen Baldwin will help.