Your Google ranking is more important than ever. Also important, whether you’re a job seeker or small business owner, is being able to be found.
Google profile is a simple way to set up camp within Google searches so people can find you or your business. They can then contact you from right within your Google profile with the “Send a Message” function.
A Google profile is simply how you present yourself on Google to the world. Your profile will come up anytime someone Googles your name so it’s a great way to make a first impression – because you control the content.
It allows you to control how you appear on Google and tell others a bit more about who you are. You can include, for example, links to your blog, online photos and other profiles such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and more. You don’t even have to include your direct contact information if you don’t want that made public – just verify your email address and they’ll add a “Send a Message” function to your page.
We’ll use my Google page as a sample:
1 image, name, headline, location
2 ability to email
Click <a href=”https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=profiles&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fprofiles%2Fme%2Feditprofile%3Fedit%3Dh&skipvpage=false<mpl=me#about”>here</a> to start your Google profile today.
Job Seeker Tips:
- Use the same headline here that you use on LinkedIn.
- Obvious but we have to say it: link to your LinkedIn profile
- Post your resume
- Cut & paste some of your LinkedIn recommendations and use them on your Google profile page
- Make your contact information clear and easy to find
- Don’t link to your personal Flickr account if there are overly personal photos there – i.e. drinking, partying or anything of the sort [and why do you have those photos ANYWHERE Google can find them?! Remove them NOW!]
- Put your Google profile URL on your resume, Web site and LinkedIn page
Have a Google profile already? Leave your URL in the comment below; we’d love to see how everyone is customizing their pages!