As I was finishing off my bowl of ABCs and 123s chased with chips and salsa, I saw that “Little House on the Prairie” was on. And, not only that, but it was the episode where Ma thinks Pa is gettin’ it on with the young, attractive widow for whom he’s moonlighting in order to afford some fancy new dishes for the Ingalls’ dinner table. Sadly, I had a big ol’ smile on my face at the end of the show, then got to turn it to Lifetime for my double-dose of “How I Met Your Mother” re-runs. Ahhhh…guilty pleasures. Does it get any better?
When you’re down and out, unemployed, victimized by recession, dumped and/or stuck with roots that you can’t afford to have colored, guilty pleasures can be the only thing to get you through the muck. But just because they’re called “guilty”, don’t be coy about them bringing you joy. Embrace them. Honor them. Love them.
Herewith are Miss Pink Slip’s 10 favorite guilty pleasures. These are the things that bring me glee and cause me no shame. Well, maybe they do a little. Enjoy:
- My many, many magazine subscriptions. Vogue, Elle, O The Oprah Magazine, House Beautiful, Marie Claire, Cosmo, Time, Business Week, Atlanta Magazine, Harper’s Bazaar, etc. The entire staffs of Hearst and Conde Nast should thank me for their jobs
- Horoscopes in the backs of those many, many magazines. Elle, you suck for getting rid of the Numerology page!
- Chef Boyardee. Ravioli. ‘Nuff said.
- “Touched by an Angel”. Shut up. I hear you judging me!
- Chili dogs
- El Azteca– only you Atlantans can appreciate the nastiness
- Romance novels of the 50s and 60s
- 64 box of Crayons and coloring books featuring Barbie
- Seeing cheesy teen movies in the theater. I swear I was the only female in the audience of “Never Been Kissed” who’d actually had my period
- Show tunes(from “Annie”, “Sound of Music”, “Rent”) that pop up on my iPod while in the shuffle songs function
What are your guilty pleasures?