USA Today’s recent story about how trade paperback books are thriving in “tough times” gave me pause about reading, its escapist quality, its cheap availability and, most importantly, the upcoming beach trash season. And what better time to dive into some light reading than now when you’re unemployed or broke and in need of an escape. Better yet, most of my favorite trashy titles are available in mass market paperback. I’m a former publishing gal, so I don’t want to take dollars out of my friends’ pockets, but I do know when times are tough, the used bookstore and library are fabulously cheap solutions!
Best, most have movie adaptations that have aired on Lifetime, WE or Oxygen and are probably available on Netflix. I’m a Netflix dropout, but you might still indulge!
Now, without further ado, below is Miss Pink Slip’s top 10 list of all-time favorite summertime smut titles:
- The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
- Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann
- Peyton Place by Grace Metalious
- Once is Not Enough by Jacqueline Susann
- The Love Machine by Jacqueline Susann
- Hollywood Wives by Jackie Collins
- Princess Daisy by Judith Krantz
- The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe
- I’ll Take Manhattan by Judith Krantz
- Any book by V.C. Andrews
Check out my Listmania! List on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/o2j5ff