Meant to send this out back in ‘da day, but I forgot. It’s still a great resource! Go check out FastCompany.com’s Top Jobs 2009 Web feature: http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/web/133web.html
From Fast Company: “Downsized? Burned out? Just curious? We scoured the globe and grilled hiring experts for our annual package on the hot careers of this year and the future.”
Take a peek at the contents:
Where in the World to Find a Job
Ten Best Green Jobs
Seven Steps to Surviving a Post-Layoff Existence
Dream Jobs to Delight Your Inner Child
Career Advice for Tough Times
Fast Cities 2009
Posted in MPS Newsstand, The Hunt
Tagged career advice, downsized, dream jobs, Fast Company, FastCompany.com, green jobs, hiring experts, hot careers, Job, job search, layoff, Top Jobs 2009
Get thee to a newsstand before this issue exits the racks! I picked it up at the airport — wish I’d seen it sooner!
The May 2009 issue is themed “Jobs for the Future” and is chock full of information for all of you, whether you’re jobless, strugging, questioning and/or seeking a new path.
Brian Kelly’s editor’s note focuses on “career audit[s]”, pointing out the hidden value of a recession — that is, this is a great time to reevaluate your work life and where it’s going.
- How to Win the New Job Game
- Choosing the Career Path Less Traveled
- This Year’s Best Careers
- Smart Way to Give Your Career a Boost
- Obama’s Green Light for Green Jobs
- Win at Work
- Making a Living as a Professional Blogger
- Landing a Job After 50
- Social Networking
- Online Education and Grad Programs
- Strategies for Saving Money
- Status of B-Schools, Law Schools and Med Schools
There is really something in here for everyone. Some of the content may be things you’ve heard before, but I still think it’s the best $4.99 you’ll spend this week!
Posted in MPS Newsstand
Tagged career, career path, careers, grad school, green jobs, jobless, joblessness, Jobs for the Future, May 2009, new job game, online education, relocating, saving money, U.S. News & World Report, unemployed, unemployment
10 free things the jobless can do to help save the Earth:
- If you aren’t interviewing, skip a hair wash. Better yet, if you’re staying in, skip the whole shower and save water! 🙂
- Email all resumes, if possible
- Use a job search tracker online like HappyJobSearch.com instead of filling up various notepads with contact names, random notes, etc.
- Turn off the TV and read to escape (something fun–not the latest unemployment numbers)
- Leave your car in the garage and take a stress-relieving walk outside
- Join your neighborhood clean up crew
- Give your laptop a much needed “coffee break” (i.e., turn it off and unplug it when not in use)
- Volunteer some free time to an environmental organization or charity
- Hook up with your neighborhood community garden. You could come away with some awesome tomatoes or squash in the process
- Search for a Green Job: http://www.environmentalcareer.info/index.asp
Got any other ideas? Send them my way!
Posted in Cheap Thrills, News, Volunteering
Tagged community garden, Earth Day, environmental career, green jobs, Happy Earth Day, Happy Job Search, jobless, pink slip, save the Earth, sustainable business