I was thinking of what I could possibly write that relates the unemployed and struggling to Valentine’s Day. Then, it came to me: This is a perfect time to show yourself some love and affection. And who needs that more than you?
I came up with 20 ways you can give yourself a big hug this Sunday. They’re cheap and easy…just like me. Kidding! 🙂
- Hit up a matinée. Garry Marshall’s “Valentine’s Day” hits theaters today. Most of the Oscar-nominated films are out, too.
- Download a few new songs from iTunes.
- Treat yourself to a small piece of costume jewelry like earrings or a bracelet. Target’s got cute guilt-free options.
- Take time away from your computer to dive into that cheesy chick lit book that’s sitting on your bedside table.
- Head over to your neighborhood chocolatier and buy a couple of sinfully divine truffles or even just a mug of decadent hot chocolate. Yes, with whipped cream. Yes, with chocolate shavings.
- Invite your closest friends over to share a nice bottle of wine. This is the time to splurge on that $25 or $30 bottle you’ve been eyeing.
- Go to church. For the faithful, nothing is more uplifting than some quiet time with God or an inspiring sermon from your favorite spiritual leader.
- Join the girls for brunch at a cute café with all-you-can-drink mimosas or Bloody Marys.
- Let yourself be lazy. Pile up on the couch with a blanket and watch hours of Lifetime or Hallmark Channel movies. Go ahead…no one’s watching!
- Visit your local bookstore and treat yourself to a gorgeous magazine you normally don’t read.
- Pick up some new lingerie. Again, Target has cute bras, panties and nighties. Loehmann’s also has a great selection.
- Manicure/Pedicure. Duh.
- A tube of lipstick or bottle of nail polish. I love bright colors from Chanel, MAC, Essie and OPI. Drugstore brands are great, too!
- Take a bubble bath. My favorite indulgence by far.
- Buy yourself a bouquet of flowers at the market. FTD doesn’t have to make a delivery to be cheered by a bright bunch of blooms.
- Get the kids out of the house for the afternoon.
- Bundle up and take a long stroll somewhere you can enjoy beautiful outdoor scenery.
- Buy the best candle you can afford at a cute gift shop you normally don’t visit. Light it, take a deep breath and close your eyes.
- Did you cut out Starbucks when you lost your job. Not today you don’t!
- Have a hot afternoon of sex with your partner–it costs virtually nothing. That is, unless you forget protection!
What are you planning to do this Valentine’s Day?